A barbering apprenticeship gives you the required skills, work experience and industry qualifications to work in roles cutting men and boys’ hair.
18 to 24 months depending on previous experience.
Your course consists of:
- Working in a commercial barber shop or hair salon with genuine clients during the working day. In addition to this you will
- Attend off the job training 1 day per week at college.
To complete your course you will be assessed
- Greeting clients
- Consultation with client
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Cut hair using barbering techniques to create a variety of looks
- Provide shaving service
End Point Assessment – EPA
This is the final stage of the apprenticeship.
EPA of mandatory skills, knowledge and behaviours specified in the standard. This will be via practical assessment and oral questioning. The practical assessment and oral questioning will include:
- Safe working practices and
- Consultation skills
This consists of a 3-hour practical observation.
Costs and funding
Course costs £7000. The costs of training and assessment are usually paid for by government funding, with contributions from the employer. The course can also be paid for privately.